Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Zeitgeist; Religion, 9/11 and the Federal Reserve

Just a note before you begin to read the prompt; a lot of you have commented in past entries that you really don't know the candidates platforms or what they plan on doing, etc, etc. I'm assuming and hoping that most of you watched the presidential debates and are a bit more informed, however, as we are learning, everything is not always as it seems and if you are relying on just the debates to get your information I want to point you in the direction of a website called Factcheck.org who "aims to reduce the level of deception and confusion in U.S. politics. We monitor the factual accuracy of what is said by major U.S. political players in the form of TV ads, debates, speeches, interviews and news releases. Our goal is to apply the best practices of both journalism and scholarship, and to increase public knowledge and understanding." This is a great tool to use so you may be more aware and more educated on these two candidates and can make an educated choice when you go to vote, those of you who can.



Ok, moving on.........



Have any of you seen the signs posted around campus with the title "Zeitgeist" on it? Did you look into it and read the poster for more information? Are you curious about what this film is all about? By the way, yes it is a film and they will be showing it on campus on October 9th. Have you ever heard of that word? Are you curious of what it means? Well in case you were, or weren't, according to Wikipedia, which I acknowledge is not a credible source, it means the following:





"Zeitgeist (pronounced [ˈt͡saɪtgaɪst] (help·info)) is a German language expression literally translated: Zeit, time; Geist, spirit, meaning "the spirit of the age and its society". The word zeitgeist describes the intellectual, cultural, ethical and political climate of an era or also a trend. In German, the word has more layers of meaning than the English translation, including the fact that Zeitgeist can only be observed for past events."





"The spirit of the Age and it's Society." I just like the way that sounds. Particularly at the present time, during these very difficult struggles our country is going through. What is going on in our society and what is the spirit of this age? Are we excited, are we thriving, are we upset, discontent, disenfranchised? Do you care? Do you just go about your everydays going to school, going to work without thinking about your futures past graduation and getting a job? Do you ever ask yourself, or your peers, or your family, why things are the way they are right now?



As critical thinkers you should be asking questions.....lots of questions. As we have discussed in class, things are not always black and white, they are multidimensional and it is important as it is relevant to always try to see through various perspectives and sometimes that requires a little bit of research so we can find some answers to those questions.



I would like to then invite you to take a look into the perspective that Zeitgeist has to offer. The movie is divided into three parts. The first part deals with Religion, the second with the incidents of 9/11 and the third on the Federal Reserve. While I am not asking you to watch the entire movie for this prompt, I am going to post up the one clip from every part. You can find all the movie divided into sections on YouTube or you can go directly to the website and watch or download the movie on the website if you are interested in watching the movie in its entirety.



Whichever part of the movie you do choose to watch (Religion, 9/11, Fed Reserve), I highly recommend you go to YouTube and find the rest of that particular part of the movie so you can understand from beginning to end. Then post your reply on your blog to what you have just seen. I have faith that you will be extremely intrigued to watch the entire part of the movie you choose from, and even the entire movie for that matter.



Zeitgeist; Religion Part 1 of 3



Zeitgeist; 9/11 Part 1 of 4




Zeitgeist; Federal Reserve Part 1 of 5




1 comment:

Christina said...

Zeitgeist
I do not know if the narrator's interpretation is correct. I have basic knowledge of the economic process. The narrator is effective by asking questions, like, "Where does the money to pay for the debt come from?". Then I answer something like, "They make it." The narrator has engaged me in dialogue with him and our answers agree. YET, I still do not trust him enough to validate the interpretations he makes after the fact. A good rhetorician, a "good" liar, knows to always use truth in their argument. The presence of some truth does not make the entire claim true. Just because there is some truth mixed in with the claims, I do not want to embrace the claims as fact as well.
I do not feel educated enough, in this area of expertise, to make a reliable judgement call on the claims this movie makes. I would need to research it more, and see if the evidence matches the claims. I do not know the people who made this film. It could be anyone; and I do not trust just anyone. I would more readily believe the claims of an educated person I know and trust, than that of a conspiracy theory film.
A lot of quotes, especially from founding fathers of the US of A, were used in the film clip. However they did not include where the quotes can be found. This frustrated me because I wanted to look up the quotes to see when, where and why those words have been spoken. It is especially important to read them in context. I do not, however, have the time to look all those quotes up, without any reference as to where I can find them.
In response to Josiah Stamp's quote:
Who is supposed to make the money? A completely privatized organization? That way you merely transfer the situation to private hands. The only solution I see, in this long minute of reflection, is to do away with currency. That does not seem like a wise, nor even viable, solution.
I really liked the Woodrow Wilson quote. I do not know if this is entirely the result of the creation of the Fed. The film's argument seems very oversimplified.
McFadden's quote is very interesting. Recent developments, that the public seems disturbingly unconcerned about, have to have roots. I never thought about just how far back those roots go. The head of the Fed is the most powerful person in this country. I never looked into how, historically speaking, the chairman came to hold this role. It just seems natural, since money drives the decisions of every sector of all the nations of the entire world. That'll do it.
I googled the movie before I started watching it. From what I read, the movie came across as a big conspiracy theory. Some of its claims, read apart from the persuasive context of the film, degraded much of the film's credibility in my eyes.

It's a cool story. I just don't know that it's a true one.