Saturday, May 30, 2009

So this past week was full of some exciting events and controversial topics and I figured I would just throw a few of those out there for you to gnaw over.

Early in the week I saw a clip concerning a man drinking his daughters breast milk. (click on the link for article and video) Later on in the week I decided to check out Toms Shoes after having seen the commercial over and over again that it made me wonder if it was portraying a real company. After checking out the website it made me wonder why more businesses weren't like Tom's. Oh, and then there was the infamous announcement of President Obama's choice for Supreme Court: Sonia Sotomayor along with the handful of questionable remarks and decisions made by her. The one that really peaked my interest though, was the situation with the Firefighters, being that we are discussing marginzalized communities. Quite the reverse situation here with white men claiming to be the marginalized ones. (listen to NPR link)

Moving on, some of you may or may not be aware of some of the major cuts our very own FIU is experiencing, dance, music and religious studies. Interestingly the Dalai Lama himself decided to come to FIU's rescue and help support the religious studies department by donating $100K. I wonder if we can get someone to do the same for the marching band?

Lastly, I thought I would share with you another blog, that of my husbands, Roger Mendoza, where he posts his paintings. Thursday morning (4am) he finished his latest painting, check him out. :)

Have a great weekend!

No comments: